|“||I will fullfil this dream of mine, and fight against the world for it, fair and square. I don't think there's anything embarrassing about that||”|
He is a hot blooded forward who's main goal is to become a football superhero. When first arriving at Blue Lock he was member of Team Z during the First Selection.
He was ranked #50 out of the original 300 forwards chosen to be a part of the Blue Lock Project but was later eliminated from Blue Lock during the final games of Second Selection by Ryusei Shidou but instead of leaving the facility he walked into a mysterious "Wild Card" door that was open to him.
Kunigami is a tall fair skinned high schooler with bright, spiky orange hair that is styled in an undercut with auburn eyes. He appears to be very muscular and broad in the shoulders. At Blue Lock, Kunigami wears the standard-issued body suit (black with gray stripes) and tracksuit. During the First Selection, he wore Team Z’s blue #9 jersey and wears Team Z's gray-capped cleats. During Second Selection, he wore Team Red's #50 jersey.
Kunigami has a very moral personality. He can be very serious about his football career, training, and way of living but also knows when to relax and enjoy life. He is seen as calm yet passionate when it comes to football and can be very rational and careful at times but can also be as stubborn as Raichi, who he tends to butt heads with. Kunigami will not let troublemakers and people who play unfair get their way when he is around; he almost comes off as a big brother. Even though he is serious most of the the time he can be very grateful and somewhat embarrassed when praised by others.
Meeting Ryusei Shidou had an impact on Kunigami's mindset and way of doing things. His moral and righteous way of playing was outdone by a more aggressive and instinctual way of play. He questions his last words when walking out of Blue Lock.
- Clinical Finisher: Clinical finishers are forwards that specialize in their accurate shooting ability. They are "clinical" in that they need few opportunities to score a goal being able to strike and place the ball exactly where it will beat the goalkeeper. They can be identified by their high goal to shots ratio. Clinical strikers usually play as centre forwards though other attacking players can often be said to be clinical finishers.
Kunigami was tied for top scorer on Team Z during the First Selection, and only because another teammate cheated to get those goals. When left unmarked he is guaranteed to make an easy goal.
Finesse Shot: Kunigami has a near pinpoint power shot, specifically from his left leg, that he uses to score incredibly powerful shots with his standard range for shooting being within 28 meters.
- Knuckle Shot: From almost 40 meters away from the net, Kunigami shoots with such intense force that he kills the spin of the ball allowing for the shot to curve.
Superior Physique: Kunigami is one of the handful of forwards in Blue Lock who has a very strong and muscular physique and he uses this to his advantage when driving the ball down the field or marking players to defend.
- The name Kunigami means "head of a state or country."
- Kunigami's surname, Rensuke means (練) "practice" (介) "assistance."
- (To Team Z) My greatest weapon is my left foot's shooting power. 
- (To Isagi) Because I'm going to be a football hero. 
- (To Isagi) I will fullfil this dream of mine, and fight against the world for it, fair and square. I don't think there's anything embarrassing about that. 
- (To Keisuke) Enough. Don't lay your hands on my team. 
According to the One Character-One question segment:
- He has an older sister and a younger sister.
- He is originally from Akita.
- He mentioned that his weakness is his inability to handle compliments and unfriendliness.
- His favorite food is seaweed soup. He dislikes cereal.
- His weakest subject in school is Classics.
- His favorite animal is a polar bear.
- His hobbies include running at the beach and muscle training.
- His favorite soccer players are Didier Drogba and Olivier Giroud.
- When he bathes, he washes his neck first.
- The last time he cried was when he was watching E.T.
- If he impulsively bought something from a convenience store, it would be batteries.